•           Home
  • Getting Started
  • Working at Home
  • Productivity
  • Grammar & Spelling
  • Research
  • Text Expanders
  • Earnings Calls
  • Product Reviews
  • Podcasts
  • About

Monday, July 14, 2008

Deleting Old Files in Express Scribe

I've noticed over the last few weeks that my laptop has seemed to be getting rather slow, and I really couldn't figure out what was causing it. I'm fairly diligent about running malware scans, and my virus scan program runs every day. I defragment it whenever the drive indicates that it's necessary, and I try not to keep anything on it that's not necessary in general. Everything was coming up clean, so I was really perplexed as to how to figure out what was going on.

I'm not sure what made me think to try this, but the other day I recalled a trick that I learned from Iliketotype on WAHM.com a few years ago about Express Scribe. There is a setting in Express Scribe where you can choose how long it should save files that you've marked as done. If it's set to zero, it will never delete the files. Now, I know that I've set it to delete them after one day in the past, but at some point, perhaps during an update, it got switched back to zero. I checked the folder where it saves them, and I had nearly 2,000 files in there!!! No wonder my system was so slow!

To make it easy for you to find this setting, you simply need to go to Settings>Files, and next to "delete old 'done' files after number of days (0 is never)" enter a 1 or whatever number of days you prefer. Alternatively, you can just delete the files when you're done with them by right clicking with your mouse and selecting delete.

You may need to find the folder where it's been storing them and delete all of the old done files by hand. This file should be located at Documents and Settings>(Your profile name on your computer)>Application Data>NCH Swift Sound>Scribe>Done. Just highlight them all and delete them!

3 Comments:

S. said...

Yes, thank you for mentioning this!! I use Express Scribe and about six months ago I was literally running out of space on my hard drive. I did not understand what was happening. I deleted a bunch of programs even, to see if that would help. Finally I realized that it was holding on to my "done" files. What a difference it made when I told it to dump all of those! I was on the verge of buying a new computer because I figured the hard drive was just dying. Nope, I had just forgotten about all that saved (but invisible) work!

margilowry said...

Thank you!

Also, an FYI for Vista users the files are located here:

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe

ragini said...

thank you so much it helped me lot and saved me from buying new pc my low disc problem resolved immediately after deleting old files in done folder