I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal; however, I know that many, many people need a concrete plan for any major undertaking. If you fall in the latter group, then you're in luck because we put together a list of the action steps that we recommend following to get started in a career in general transcription.
- Find a pair of quality headphones.
- Download Express Scribe and install Microsoft Word if it’s not already on your computer.
- Brush up on your grammar rules.
- Learn how to research words, names and terms online.
- Download audio from a variety of sources and begin practicing.
- Create or brush up your résumé and cover letter.
- Begin applying as an independent contractor.
- Look for projects on Guru, Elance and/or Craigslist.
- Continue developing your skills and looking for ways to increase productivity.