•           Home
  • Getting Started
  • Working at Home
  • Productivity
  • Grammar & Spelling
  • Research
  • Text Expanders
  • Earnings Calls
  • Product Reviews
  • Podcasts
  • About

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Text Expanders – Common Compound Modifiers

One of the things I try to do when creating my text expanders is always follow the same method of creating my text expander so I can easily recall it later. This way, if I come across a word or phrase I think should be in my text expander program I can just type the "formula" for that type of word. If it's in there, it will expand. If it's not in there, there's no better time than the present to add a new text expander.

Here are a few of my favorite compound modifiers I use. I find that typing the hyphens often slows me down, and having them in ShortKeys saves me breaking up my rhythm time and time again. You'll notice that some of them are followed by a "/." That is because those expand to the phrase without the hyphens if you don't add the "/" after it. My formula for these is to use the first letter of each word in the three-word phrase.

ShortcutOutput
yoy/year-over-year
dtdday-to-day
onoone-on-one
sbsstep-by-step
mtmman-to-man
wtwwoman-to-woman
ytd/year-to-date
eteend-to-end
hihhand-in-hand
ppcpay-per-click
nfpnot-for-profit
qtq/quarter-to-quarter
qoq/quarter-over-quarter


Mandi detailed how to deal with those pesky "-year-olds" in her post on When AutoCorrect and ShortKeys Collide. This has actually been one of my favorite new additions as of late. I strongly recommend setting it up.

0 Comments: