•           Home
  • Getting Started
  • Working at Home
  • Productivity
  • Grammar & Spelling
  • Research
  • Text Expanders
  • Earnings Calls
  • Product Reviews
  • Podcasts
  • About

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Work-at-Home Transcriptionist

If you work at home while also caring for your children, then the following scenario is probably familiar to you:

You sit down to get a few minutes of transcription in while your child(ren) are focused on some toy or game. Just as you get settled in your seat and get your earphones adjusted for comfort and your fingers poised on the home row of your keyboard, the toy loses all of its appeal and you're attention is being sought by the little ones in your life. You get up, take care of all of the needs/wants they can possibly think of and resettle yourself in front of your computer.

Rinse, repeat.

Working at home is a continuous juggling act of taking care of your children, home and work. People often say that being a stay-at-home mom is a full-time job in and of itself, and there's no doubt that it's hard work. But for those of us who work at home, whether it be full-time or part-time, that means that we're essentially working two jobs, and while it seems that some people think we're sitting around eating bon-bons, that just simply isn't true.

Just for fun, I decided to track my day about a week-and-a-half ago to give my readers over at Doodles' Place a glimpse into what it's like. That day ended up going nothing like I had planned, but how many do?

At the end of the day, being there to kiss boo-boos and watch my children learn about the world around them makes the juggling act worth it. But that doesn't mean there aren't moments that I want to pull my hair out, quit my job and go hide in a corner. You?


2 Comments:

margilowry said...

For me, the most frustrated I get is when a deadline is looming, dinner time is approaching, boy needs a new pull-up and I've had four hours of sleep.

Yeah. Pretty much every day.

Hahaha! Not really. But really, really close.

Unknown said...

Wow, now I don't feel so bad.

My kids are old enough to take care of themselves at this point; wouldn't it be great if they did? The hubby works from home and has no earthly idea that my time is just as important as his. My oldest child is the picture next to "lazy" in the dictionary, my middle child has a broken leg, and my youngest has ADHD. Oh, and did I mention that we're trying to get the house fixed up so we can put it on the market?

I only work part-time, so I can usually get up early when it's just my mom and me and crank out my work before everybody's out of bed. If I can't, then all heck breaks loose.

The weird part? When there's not total chaos in the house, I miss it. What is wrong with me?!?!?