•           Home
  • Getting Started
  • Working at Home
  • Productivity
  • Grammar & Spelling
  • Research
  • Text Expanders
  • Earnings Calls
  • Product Reviews
  • Podcasts
  • About

Monday, June 23, 2008

Everyday versus Every Day

Have you ever struggled to decide whether to use “everyday” or “every day” in your transcription or writing?

Everyday is an adjective that is used to describe a noun, i.e., an everyday occurrence.

Every day, on the other hand, is an adjective plus noun literally meaning “each day.”

A simple rule of thumb, as described at The Grammar Curmudgeon, is to try to use “each day” in the sentence. If you can substitute “each day” you should use “every day.” If it does not make sense to substitute “each day,” then you should use “everyday.”


3 Comments:

margilowry said...

What I really want to know is: how do you transcribe TWO HOURS of dictation a day with three kids and a household to run?

I'm having a hard time with only one kid!

Is there a secret? Something I'm doing wrong?

Mandi @ Life Your Way said...

You know, Shaina might be better qualified to answer because she consistently does more than I do, but I'm not sure I'd recommend doing more than 2 hours a day because it just leaves me stressed and unhappy. But you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

I try to work before the girls get up and at nap, and then I often spend all afternoon/evening in my chair while DH does dinner, clean up and bedtime. My goal is to not work during the morning playtime, but often I end up working then too. It's gotten especially hard now that the baby is into everything. She's not content to just sit and play and I'm finding myself having to stop every 5 minutes. Getting them all on the same sleep schedule helps too, but we're still hit and miss with her because sometimes she just needs an earlier nap.

margilowry said...

Somehow, it just makes me feel better to hear that you have to stop every five minutes, too. Heh.

I like to say that I'm not the fastest transcriber in the world, but I DO pride myself on being thorough. So far, it's kept me working, so I guess I'm doin' all right.

Thanks for replying!