•           Home
  • Getting Started
  • Working at Home
  • Productivity
  • Grammar & Spelling
  • Research
  • Text Expanders
  • Earnings Calls
  • Product Reviews
  • Podcasts
  • About

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Research in Action – Phrases

I recently did a transcript with the following sentence in it.

The drug distribution business in south Florida can be a pretty rugged game, and some of these folks decided to shuffle off this mortal coil long before the cases could be brought to trial.

Now, I could not for the life of me make out what word he was saying after "mortal." Yes, I know (now) it's Shakespeare. Yes, I read Hamlet in both high school and college. Apparently sometime between college and now, that piece of knowledge was lost to mommy brain or some other memory lapse.

Luckily, I can rely on Google these days when my memory (and hearing) fails me. A great feature is that when you enclose your search query in quotation marks it searches only for instances of when those words appear together in exactly the order you've typed. I did a quick search for "shuffle off this mortal," and I was able to complete the phrase and refresh my memory on its origins and, mostly importantly, move on in my file.

We've got more great tips for research, so stay tuned!

0 Comments: